Monday, March 7, 2016

The Princess Dancing with her Court (a Clayboard engraving / Scratchboard)

When I finished this clayboard engraving and set it aside to look at it, I saw a dancing princess surrounded by her admiring court.


This is a 6x6 inch clayboard engraving (scratchboard) etched on a black Ampersand board using blades, needles, and a multi-line tool.  It was a nine movie endeavor.  I like this one.

Here you can see the stages it went through.  Each session was about 2 hours.

In the first six sessions after sketching out the outline design with a stylus, I slowly scraped away the background black with a blade.  This is the tedious, boring part.





After the background was done, I then etched the component parts to varying degrees to tone down the stark black and white look.  This gives it some depth and interest.  This took about three more sessions....

4 comments:

  1. Amazing! So creative and ultimately beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This information is impressive; I am inspired with your post writing style & how continuously you describe this topic. After reading your post, thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel happy about it and I love learning more about this topic..
    hoa lan ho diep | civil engineering outsourcing | Civil engineering services | Outsourcing land development services | Civil engineering services | Outsource Structural Drafting Services | Outsource CAD drafting services "

    ReplyDelete