Friday, June 12, 2015

Blue Ghost - A Troubled Painting

I don't know what this obsession is that I've had for the past few years, painting flowers, drawing flowers, engraving flowers, going on Pinterest and looking at flowers....  I'm thinking it has something to do with needing beauty and refreshment in my life. Flowers are endlessly beautiful and beauty is a spiritual quality.

Here is my latest Ghost Floral. (These are a series of paintings with mottled backgrounds and white flowers.)




Its been a difficult run with this one -- but I've accepted the fact that some paintings are more successful than others and I need to just get on with it.   The more I worked on this one, however, the more I hated the flower in the center.  It was too plain, too centered, too boring.  I didn't think I would be able to do anything with it.



Then one day, after a nap, I came up to the studio and looked at it with disgust and smeared Payne's Gray over it and began to fool around.  Now I think I can improve on this new flower.  Next step was to put in the ribbon and work on values.




I finally got it to the point where I could put it to bed and say, "Enough."


No comments:

Post a Comment