Sunday, May 17, 2015

Creating a Painting Using Fingers as Brushes (updated)

(Note:  This is an updated post with new video.)

Last year I went to an outdoor art fair and met a woman (so sorry, I can't remember her name) who, because of a neurological affliction, could not hold a paintbrush steady. She had been an accomplished painter and then was struck with a palsy.  Her solution was to paint using only her fingers.  I was completely amazed at the detail she was able to achieve.  I went away thinking this was an amazing feat.

Then yesterday I was trolling YouTube for artist demos, as I'm wont to do, and came across the Russian Painter Igor Sakharov.  I watched him paint nearly an entire floral painting using only his fingers. Eureka!  I decided to try it.

I've been frustrated at how stiff my florals look when I try too hard.  This method had me exclaiming, "I love this!" several times.  The tactile nature of this method really appeals to me and I love how soft the result is.  I'm definitely going to fool around with this some more.

video

I found that small details needed brushes, at least at my ability level.

Here's the painting so far.  I made a little slide show.

No comments:

Post a Comment