Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Dried Blood Background

Recently I've sketched out in oil a number of "ghost florals."  These are white paintings on top of a mottled, colored background.  When the original sketch is dry, I go over the design and deepen the values to give it some depth.  I did that yesterday with the painting below.



But now I kind of hate the background color. It isn't mottled enough - looks flat - and the color reminds me of dried blood.  Anyways, I don't like it.   I will have to go through the laborious process of painting a new background around this complicated design.  My fear is that I will wreck it in the process.

Oh well.  A few failures along the way provide learning opportunities, yes?

This is only half done.  Stay tuned for the new background.

No comments:

Post a Comment