Here's what my students created.
UPDATE: Since several people have asked me how I did this, here is a small tutorial (without photos, I'm sad to say.)
- Buy a packet or two of small match boxes at any supermarket and empty the matches out. (If you light them (not all at once!) and quickly blow them out you can later use the matchsticks for other projects.
- Cut the cover. Cut some cardstock in a long rectangle, enough to wrap around the outside of the box plus 1/2 inch to glue or tape it together. DO crease the rectangle at the points where they bend around the corners. This gives students a nice template for designing the front, sides, and back. DO NOT tape this cover on yet.
- Have your student decorate this outer cover paper, featuring the troublesome emotion on the front. All the other sides can be decorated as well.
- Cut the inside. Cut another piece of cardstock that fits inside the box. Before you glue it in, have your students write their comforting words on it. Then glue it into the box.
- Glue or tape on the decorated cover paper to the outside of the box. Voila!