Monday, January 21, 2013

Beginning a New Top- Wearable Art

Years ago I had the time and discipline to make myself a new outfit each season.  (I long ago got tired of shopping and trying on things that don't fit me - so I sew nearly all my own tops.) These days, however, I am pretty busy and sewing for myself seems always to get put at the bottom of the list.  I have a huge pile of winter flannel waiting patiently to be made into tops.



My clothes are beginning to actually shred and fall apart so, really, I have to make time for myself.




 I've decided to take one hour a day for the next month or two and finish some nice things for myself so I won't be embarrassed at work. Shown below is a wine colored top I began two days ago.
















 It will have a partially quilted upper part, both front and back.



The front also has some geometric applique designs made from old men's tie silk.

 
 

 The front has a hidden button placket (something I like to do so the buttons don't distract from any jewelry I might want to wear.)  It will be about fingertip tunic length with some quilted patch pockets (to hold my new iphone, a tool I am beginning to love.)

I will show you progress.  It should be finished before long. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment