I spent several agonizing hours last night trying to get this right. In this scratchboard engraving I wanted to lay down color first (before etching) with Ampersand ink and then engrave a design over it. What I found, however, is that if you water down the ink, it pools on the surface and makes ugly blooms. So I went over it with undiluted ink. But the ink color is often too intense for my liking. So then I tried watercolor, which performs better in some ways but is more difficult to scratch. Oy.
I guess this will be another practice piece. Maybe it will come out OK in the end. It's a mystery.
Stay tuned for tomorrow's progress.