Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Scratchboard Border


After visiting Judy Jensen's Studio the other day and being inspired by her gorgeous illustrations, I am inspired to practice my scratchboard work again.  Since I found myself unexpectedly babysitting all day, I retrieved a 5"x7" rigid Ampersand scratchbord from the closet and began sketching.  My little ward was fascinated, so I had an observer most of the time.  This little piece was a three movie affair.  I took some (bad) photos of it in process and then scanned the finished design.

Here is the result after one movie: ("The Last Unicorn.) I laid out the design as an eight panel border piece, sketched on the board with graphite pencil, and began scratching out the design.



After the second movie ("Spiderwick")  I finished the other side panel and the top center area.



At each corner I sketched a critter representing one of the four elements of Earth, Air, Fire, Water.


 


Finally, after sitting through "The Last Airbender," here is the final result.  Perhaps I will make this into a card or enlarge it for a frame.  I don't yet know.




More practice to come.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment