Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Rocking Chair for the New Baby

My son and daughter-in-law are about to have their first baby and need a rocking chair.  I found this one at my local consignment shop and decided to decorate it with a painting of loving hummingbirds and flowers.

First I drew a template of the design and transferred it onto the chair.  It is difficult to see here but there is a light pencil drawing on the wood.

Then I began painting in oils the vine and flowers.


The birds came last. I decided not to match them perfectly, but to have them in different poses - a bit unbalanced. This makes it a bit more like a custom work.  I think.





While I am pleased enough with it, I would have liked to have done more.

Unfortunately, the oil paint is taking forever to dry and I'm worried that it won't be dry before I have to travel to Boston when the babe arrives so I'm stopping now.


Oy.  Why didn't I paint this in acrylic?

No comments:

Post a Comment