Thursday, September 15, 2011

Bringing My Wares to Rochester

Yesterday I undertook what I thought would be the fairly simple task of loading up my car and bringing all my wearable art, kirigami, cards, and prints to Judy Jensen's new gallery room at her shop in Rochester, VT.   The main route to Rochester has been closed for the past three weeks because of Hurricane Irene damage but Judy mapped an alternate route for me to drive.  Unfortunately, those roads are intermittently closed and detours sent me far afield. The drive, normally 35 minutes, took me two hours over roads so rough I thought my fillings would be shaken out of my teeth.  I broke into tears a couple of times, overwhelmed by the sight of so much destruction.  It looks like a war zone.  The army corps of engineers and the National Guard were everywhere with giant truck convoys hauling materials and equipment to rebuild roads and bridges.  Whole towns look ravaged.  Last week I was brought to tears seeing what happened in my own area but that was n-o-t-h-i-n-g compared to what I saw yesterday.  To think that this has happened throughout the whole state is staggering.

I had my camera with me and tried to take some shots but I was unable to stop the car so these photos do not capture some of the worst of what I saw.

 
 
Huge piles of mangled trees were everywhere, deposited in fields and on roads after the water receded.

 
Many people's yards now look like riverbeds...


This used to be a paved road.  Its pretty amazing that farmers and regular guys with tractors as well as road crews are all out there buldozing and grading to create temporary roads so people can get places that were cut off.
 
These temporary roads were rougher than they look in photos. The worst road I was on was nothing but large rocks that had been bulldozed over a stream bed so cars could temporarily pass.  I was worried my Subaru wouldn't make it across. Every other car on that road was a truck. 

This used to be a concrete bridge.  I saw a lot of bridges that had been pummeled to nothing.



This was a common sight:  Fields and yards covered with a deep layer of silt.  This used to be a farmer's field.  We've lost so much land.  This silt is contaminated and has to be removed or covered with topsoil before it can be planted again.
 

Well, I finally got there.  Judy and I set my things up in her space, and I was able to take a slightly better route home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment