Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Inspired By: Russian Painters


I'm not sure how much work I will get done in the next two days, as I am babysitting Studio 47 Gallery in Woodstock.  It is wonderful to be in a large, elegant space enjoying and studying art all day.  I am a little terrified that visitors will ask me questions about the artists.  I don't know most of them.  Nevertheless, I am on cloud nine.  I should have something modest to show you tomorrow.  Until then, enjoy these wonderful, fanciful paintings by Russian painters.  Here are two by Oleg Dozortzev.

 

There is something surreal that I love about the work of many modern Russian artists.  Vladimir Kush:


... and of course, the incomparable Gennady Spirin:



Also, the classical, iconic nature of others inspires me. Here is Mickhail Nesterov.


...and here is a detail from a larger painting done by the incandescent Russian painter, Ilya Repin:



 I tend to like dark themes and minor tones so the air of tragedy that infuses Russian art is delicious to me.  Isaac Levitan wrote:
"What can be more tragic than to feel the boundlessness of the surrounding beauty and to be able to see in it its underlying mystery... and yet to be aware of your own inability to express these large feelings…"
 




No comments:

Post a Comment