Friday, June 24, 2011

Little Demon Obsessions

When I get an idea in my head, I often have difficulty setting it aside until I address it, explore it, or complete it.  This can be a good thing (I usually finish what I start) and a bad thing (I get obsessed with too many little things and sometime lose all sense of priority and let small, intriguing things overwhelm big boring ones.)  Last night I again succumbed to a little obsession that took up the whole evening - on something which isn't all that important.  But I had a problem and was determined to find a solution, damn it!

I've been creating kirigami keepsake cards for years now, sweet little pop-up cards which can be lovely for special occasions: weddings, anniversaries, etc.  The design I've been using is lovely when held in the hands, but because it is triangular in shape, it is very difficult to display.  I've invented little wire stands to put mine on but many people have contacted me asking how they can display their lovely dimensional cards.  I don't have a good answer for them.  Also, they can't be sold in gift shops because there is no easy way to display them.  

Then, as I was creating the movable book you've been hearing about, it occurred to me that I could use some of those methods to create cards which would stand up by themselves. Also, if I found the right clear plastic box, they could be displayed opened so people could see the inside cutting without actually handling the card (and possibly bending or staining it.)  Eureka!

But here's the rub: how could I find the right size clear box to fit an open card?  It needed to be 1-1.5 inches deep and be the right dimensions for an A6, A7 or 5" square card in the open position.  Wouldn't you know, of the hundreds of boxes at ClearBags, it took me F O R E V E R to calculate which one might meet my needs.  I was measuring and calculating and cutting for hours last night until I was so weary I wanted to drop - but I couldn't let go of the task because I didn't want the stupid thing to spill over into the next day. "Got to get this done tonight.  Got to finish."  (There's my obsessive nature rearing its little demon head.)

I finally found a box I think will work and ordered some. Whew.  Such a big project for such a small piece of my creative life.  I only do kirigami on the side, as a hobby and the cards are a small part of that.  Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment