Monday, May 2, 2011

Nuno Wet Wool Felting with Judy Jensen


Judy Jensen wearing one of her nuno silk scarves.

I have always thought that Nuno felting on silk was some of the most elegant and beautiful fiber art.  Now, after spending the entire day with the wonderful Judy Jensen in her studio in Rochester, Vermont, I have a new appreciation for this craft. It is literally painting with wool on silk and, although the process is not complicated, it requires skill and a good sense of design, great muscles and lots of time.



The next few posts will show you some of what I am doing with Judy.  While this will not be a tutorial on nuno felting, you can get an idea of what the process involves.

These photos cannot do justice to the beautiful work Judy creates.  Wool felting, like most fiber arts, is a tactile wonder.  You have to see it in person to appreciate the beautiful texture, the web created by layers of color, the incredible gauzy filminess of a fiber that is both lightweight and strong.



Detail of one of Judy's scarves.

I spent about six hours creating a scarf today and didn't finish! I will return tomorrow to roll felt it. There will be photos of my process.


 The colorful wool roving in Judy's treasure trove of goodies.

Right now, I'm exhausted!  Standing and bending over a table for hours really works the back & legs.  Rolling out the packet is exercise for the arms.  If I knew what I was doing, it would still take me a day to create one scarf.  People, if you see a nuno scarf or garment you desire, pay whatever the artisan is asking! It is worth every penny.

Stay tuned mes amis.

No comments:

Post a Comment