Thursday, September 9, 2010

Orozco & Labor Day

Right now I have nothing of my own to show you although I am laboring very hard on a project I will reveal soon - which puts me in mind of the Labor Day holiday we just celebrated, which got me thinking about the wonderful worker art from the early and mid 20th century.

Jose Clemente Orozco painted wonderful murals throughout the library at nearby Dartmouth College. I view them often and think they are wonderful - but they are more than a little angry and militant, which isn't my style.


A populist mural painter I find more cheerful is Diego Rivera, husband of Frida Kahlo.


Here are some in his "Flower Seller" series.


I also love the murals of Coit Tower in San Francisco. HERE is a great explanation of it as a public works project during the Great Depression, along with more photos. How wonderful that back then putting artists to work was part of the economic recovery plan - something missing from today's stimulus.




Here's to having a happy and fulfilling job - or at least one that pays the rent!

No comments:

Post a Comment