Thursday, July 8, 2010

Creating a Logo 8: Creating a Refined Sketch

This is the rough sketch Thistledown Creamery chose as the basis of their new logo:

Now that the client has chosen one of the sample designs, the next step is to enlarge that rough sketch and refine it. The easiest way to do this is to put the scanned rough sketch into Photoshop (or some other graphics program) and enlarge it to a good workable size. I like to keep it large enough to easily work out the details, yet smaller than 8x10 inches so I can still scan it easily.

First I decide what size I want to work in (let's say 8 x 8 inches) and I create a Brick (blank template) of that size square and print it onto a good piece of heavy, smooth bristol. This way the edges of my final drawing will be exact.


Next I enlarge the rough sketch (see above) and print it out in the size I want (8x8) onto a piece of light-weight paper.

Then, using graphite tracing paper (never a waxed-based tracing paper because it doesn't erase well) I trace the printed sketch onto my bristol paper using a ballpoint pen so I can see where I've traced.

I then refine the pencil drawing, being careful to use light, erasable marks. My objective is to work out a more refined drawing of the logo which can become a clean line drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment