Sunday, July 4, 2010

Creating a Logo 6: Composition

Now I'm finally ready to begin designing the actual logo. I have parameters, set by the client. I have samples, and I've practiced drawing images. Now I can fit it all together into something that works as a logo. Mostly, this is a matter of good composition.

To make sketching easier, I use a template in the shape(s) the client wants, which I call a "brick." In Thistledown Creamery's case, I printed out many pages of bricks with 4.5 x 4.5 inch squares and a few equilateral triangles. (These bricks are small to make sketching faster. The final drawing will be done in much larger dimensions. ) Using standardized bricks help me keep the proportions correct. Fitting a composition to a hand-drawn shape can end up with something needing a lot of alteration later.

Square "Bricks" for sketching

I fool around with ideas, putting elements of the logo in different places: company name above, below, off to side, etc. Thistles dominant or sheep dominant? Full body sheep or head only? If a label, where does product name go? I try everything I can think of. It can take several days to stumble upon enough compositions I like to give the client a choice. Normally, I create 30 to 50 very rough pencil sketches looking for the right composition. When I find several I like, I fill in and perfect the sketches more - enough to give the client a good idea of what is planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment