Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

I am in Rhode Island today visiting my mother. I surprised her for Mother's Day.
(I love happy surprises.)
Happy Mother's Day Mom.


Probably our first thought when we think "mother" is of a madonna-like scene.


Madonna and child by NineBreaker
(I like this one because she looks a little harried.
That is the real story of early motherhood.)


...or a young mother blissfully lounging around with her child.

Mother and child by Klimt


painter: Emile Munier


But now that I am older, I see mothering in so many shades of gray.

Portrait of the Artist's Grandmother by Harry Richardson



Grandmother by Marion Chonorscsj

Young Old by Julia Swartz


Zero Cents and his grandmother
(I can hear him sassing her and saying "Zip it, Granny!"



... and then there is my crop of new and potential young mothers
to complete the circle of life.



No comments:

Post a Comment