Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Magi


This is The Magi by Gentile da Fabriano, 1422. It is a wonderful oil on wood panel, probably designed for a Church. Being a costume fan, I love the rich detail in the clothing of these Magi. I am sure that all the areas which appear dull tan are really gold lief. Probably not photographed well. How stunning this must be in real life. I tend to like paintings that are rich in detail but not too overrun with figures. (My last post excepted.) This could stand alone for me but appears to be only a segment of a larger piece.

There is so much religious art that is so wonderful, this is just one of many I could have featured. Enjoy the holidays!

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite paintings also, I love all that decoration.

    Have a wonderful Christmas Cynthia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful image. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete