Thursday, December 31, 2009

Back From the Underworld


I've turned a corner and am feeling the ground within me angling upward. My fever is gone. I cough less and sleep more. Like Persephone, I have felt the turning of the light and am climbing up out of the Underworld.

Shown here is a sweet little watercolor by Mary B. Kelly. It is an interesting rendition of Persephone greeting Demeter as she is released from dark Hades for part of the year. I like the yin yang interplay of dark and light and the playful, happy feel of the piece. Both women have been fruitful in their own sphere but now the pomegranate is being planted on Demeter, almost as if to say, "Here. You hold this thing a while. I've been carrying it long enough!"

Have a safe and happy New Year's Eve!

No comments:

Post a Comment