Saturday, December 5, 2009

Angels Bless Adam & Eve

Here is my newest Angel cutting. It is a little less than a one movie creation.

Angels Bless Adam & Eve

Thinking of something to cut onto a bifold heart is more difficult than cutting a mandala because there is more room to cover and use of space is not as symmetrical. You have to account for the inner shape of the heart. It is easy to leave too much open space, which renders lamination more risky. Attachments are also trickier. (Attachments are the points at which the main design is connected to the outside edge so it doesn't fall apart.) More has to be done with a blade. With a mandala (8 sided) or snowflake (6 sided) even small mistakes somehow come out looking interesting. Not so with bifolds, which look more like one-design papercuts. All this is in my mind when I am cutting bifolds.

3 comments:

  1. How very clever! Harry Potter and the boots and cactus pics, all of them gave me great enjoyment. How strong is a picture? Must it be framed behind glass?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laminate most of my mandalas and hearts so they will be able to be hung in a window. This way they last for years. Some others, usually the larger pieces, I frame for hanging on walls. These must be put behind glass to protect them from moisture and heat. Before I began laminating my work, my family taped the "bare naked" snowflakes to windows for holiday decorations. They only last a season or two that way. Our tradition was to gather them up in the Spring and burn them in the fireplace to celebrate the return of the Sun and warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting tradition! I have not heard about mandelas. Are they for windows at Christmas especially or other celebrations too? May I ask from which culture is the origin, South American perhaps?

    ReplyDelete