Monday, November 9, 2009

Stunted Dragon - Kirigami Heart

I always tell people you can't make a bad kirigami mandala. Any kind of cut repeated eight times comes out looking kaleidescope - like and interesting. Not so with bifolds. Occasionally I make one that is... less than successful. I put a lot of work into this dragon last night, cutting the tree-like edge carefully through an entire movie (the second episode of an Andy Warhol documentary.) Then I cut the center, beginning with the head, which came out OK. Unfortunately, there wasn't room for a body in the same proportion, so I fudged it. Yikes, now it is a dwarf dragon: big head, tiny body. And the trees look too uniform to be really interesting.


Oh well, experimentation is the crucible of successful design.

No comments:

Post a Comment