Saturday, November 7, 2009

Making Address Labels From Your Art

I was running low on address labels yesterday, so I made a new one out of a piece of one of my greeting card designs. Every time I send a letter, package, or disc to someone they get a sample of my work in the address label I put on the package. Not only do I think this is good advertising, but it is also fun and interesting to think up new, beautiful labels. Here's how I do it:

Labeling programs and tools are not difficult to find. Some come free with the purchase of labels, some are on the internet as freeware and some are available for purchase at little cost. The program I use is called "Discus" and is a very inexpensive download.

Upload a file of your artwork (or use just a small thumbnail of a larger work) onto the canvas of the label program, write your text, and print. Easy. I buy large packages of 2x4 inch labels from Online Labels.com - much cheaper than buying small packages at your local office supply store. Sometimes I cut them down, such as the colored label above. When you buy labels, the website gives you a code to use their design software. I prefer my own Discus - but that is my preference.


I put these labels on everything: the outside of packages and the inside of books and notebooks. I keep some in my planner. You can even make them into stickers to give away by eliminating the address portion and just including your name in small letters. Have fun!

1 comment: