Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Milwaukee Art Museum

I'm in Milwaukee for a brief visit with my brother-in-law's family. His wife is an artist so we are indulging in long, delicious days of art. Today we visited the fabulous Milwaukee Art Museum. The building itself is a work of art, perched on the edge of Lake Michigan like a seabird of immense proportions. In fact, the top of the building moves up and down hydraulically like a pair of wings beating against the cloud-filled skies.

Inside is like the prow of a gleaming yacht. Sea motifs are everywhere: undulating walls, arched ribs of white steel, and huge windows breathing in an expanse of sky and water.

The collections are superb as well. Unfortunately, I left my camera in the car. I will leave it to you to come visit. This portends to be one of the Midwest's great architectural landmarks. You can find more information HERE.

Later we are all going to Barbara Manger's studio to make prints. I will show you that adventure in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment