Wednesday, October 7, 2009

All Hail the Men's Throne Room


On my visit to the wonderful Kohler Art Museum in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, I encountered the hidden treasure of their wonderful bathrooms. (Remember, Kohler is the king of bathroom fixtures and this museum is dedicated to its founder.) In my previous post I showed you the women's bathroom. I was so entranced by it that, when it was empty, I took a peek into the men's chamber and found it also wonderful, although of a completely different flavor.


In the men's bathroom the colors are strong and dark, a complete change from the light frivolity of the women's bathroom.

Many of the images and words are about competition, conquest, striving, and boldness.


Clearly, the overall motif says "manliness=achievement."


Some of the motifs are humerus, tongue-in-cheek delights, such as the "throne room."

A King should be magnanimous...


Or a Protector of the People.


With wonders like this in the world, why should we be content with common, vanilla surroundings?

No comments:

Post a Comment