Wednesday, July 29, 2009

More Kirigami Cards

I'm still working on the card order from Australia. Here's what I've done in the past two days. This represents five movies! (The Man From Earth, Knowing, Hetty Wainthrop Investigates, Weeds, and The Golden Compass) I've decided to shoot these cards in profile against a black velvet background before they are glued together with Matte Medium, so they show the design better.


You may wonder why so much kirigami right now. Each craft I do has its own momentum, equipment, and way of working. Once I get out all my gear (scissors, knives, punches, paper, folders, etc.) it is more efficient to make many than make only a few. For example, I must cut the paper to size and print logos on the backs of each card. It is just as easy to print two dozen as it is to print one or two. The same goes for folding, hand printing, hand gilding, photographing and packaging. The actual cutting is the only "one by one" part. So, considering all the set-up and background work, I tend to manage my artisan work weekly instead of daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment