Thursday, June 11, 2009

Adult Coloring Pages

I have been tossing around an idea for about a year now: adult coloring pages.

Coloring is a restful, meditative and creative endeavor. When I handed out several of my line drawings to adults last summer, they greatly enjoyed the activity. Online, I have found that there is a large community of adult colorers as well. This idea has continued to germinate in me ever since I realized that, in the process of creating my black and whites, instead of filling in the line drawing right away, I could scan it into the computer and let it stand alone as a creative work.

Since my black and whites go through three stages to completion, the first of which is a line drawing in ink, I got the idea to use that drawing for a series of open illustrations which others could color. I looked this up on Amazon.com and found two types of books already out there. First are the many coloring books by Dover Publications. These are pretty flimsy - not what I was looking for. The other types are spiral bound hard covers which focus on a specific type of drawing: mandalas, cubic designs, abstract adventures, celtic designs, etc.

After investigating what it would take to put together a self-published book of this sort, I am fairly unconvinced that an entire book would work for me financially, given the larger size, good paper, thin market, etc.My newest incarnation of this idea is to sell sets of "Coloring Pages," which would be 11x14 pages on good, heavyweight paper, perhaps watercolor paper, backed with a rigid board and enclosed in a cello sleeve -- something more like a gift. This would fit in a standard sized frame and would make a fun activity for someone.

I haven't decided whether they should be sold individually or in sets. What do you think? Any ideas?

To see many more of my coloring page designs, click on the label to the right that reads "Adult Coloring." 

9 comments:

  1. I think the idea is a great one.
    Karlyn Holman sells pages on watercolor paper that can be painted
    You might want to investigate publishing sites such as blurb.com - you can set up a book, and it is published and put together when someone buys it - so there is no cost to the inventory
    Or again - you can create a file, then put in in PDF form so people can buy, print on there own stock and then color - again no cost of producing and inventory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, and I thought I was the only one who thought it would be very theraputic, but did not want to be laughed at. Count me in, and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a girley night last week and showed my coloring to my two friends. One girl killed herself laughing that I love to color. I told her it is termed as "adult coloring" and it is much more intricate and detailed than children's coloring books. I did find some great adult coloring books (paisley prints, victorial dresses and victorian housees) on Amazon.com and the paper is not too bad. I love to be able to jump from project to project so that I can plan out my color schemes on one project while working on another. I love your work and would love to be able to visit your open house . . . but way too far, I'm in the Boston area. I also find coloring very soothing while watching tv or listening to music. Its better than falling asleep on the couch and not seeing my show and getting nothing else accomplished. I have been also thinking of doing workshops similar to book scrapping. I use to do quilting classes and crafts at my home one night a week and we had a lot of fun. I believe people would love this. Thanks for your great site.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of adult coloring pages - I draw them, I blog about them, and I am a new fan of your work. I would love to feature your adult coloring book for sale on my blogs and Squidoo lenses. I'll link to here ... what a wonderful resource.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved to color, but sometimes it's really hard to find coloring pages suited for adults. I mostly scan the internet for adult theme coloring pages and once in awhile I get lucky and find something interesting and fun to color. I've managed to entice several of my adult friends into coloring. They really enjoy it and tend to come to me for new pages to color because I find the kinds of pages they like to color. My friends and I are in agreement that coloring is very relaxing for the soul. We are like little kids after we've finished coloring a page, we want to "share" what we've colored with each other and seek each other's opinions on how well we did. We are adults now, but we become children again just by putting a crayon, marker or gel pen in our hand to color. It's so awesome! I look forward to when you publish your adult coloring books. I think there's a real market out there now for adults who love to color and are looking for adult coloring pages and/or books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i visit your site n i got more information then other visited last month
    was good enough then last what i had gone throught


    work form home

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is a new site with coloring pages for adults : http://www.coloring-life.com/en/adult-coloring-pages.php

    ReplyDelete
  8. Check out this Day of the dead coloring book!! http://thepathtomictlan.mena-bo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this a lot. What a fun card it will make for "missing you" Thank you for sharing your talent.

    ReplyDelete